_The Thief_, with spoilers galore--extra long for your enjoyment

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 8 11:10:46 EST 2002

Okay, I have read the books now, after steadfastly not looking at all the
spoiler messages. So I really appreciated Melissa's summary of the
discussion so far. I have to say, I agree with her arguments in a
theoretical way. *Except* I was not taken in by Gen's deception. I guess it
has to do with having read a lot of Dorothy Dunnett, who is always
'cheating' like this, so you are constantly on the lookout, and she is
heaps more subtle. I thought Gen's actions were quite heavily signposted,
and I wasn't taken in for a moment. This didn't spoil the climax of the
book for me, because I was on the inner with the narrator, rather than
being surprised.

Please note, I am not saying Melissa is wrong, but I am saying, here's
another perspective: I am not at all sure that the reader was necessarily
meant to be taken in. In my reading, the book works just as well if you are
not surprised. I also think there is a well-established pedigree of writing
that encompasses this kind of cheating, so I don't agree that *by
definition* it spoils the book.

I liked both the books heaps. One of the best things about The Thief was
the description of the landscape, which I found very appealing. I suspect
this is because I am homesick for Melbourne in this horribly cold burst of
Calgary weather. Also, I like that she used my daughter's name in Q of A. I
will definitely read more if she writes more.

Robyn