de Lint, was Re: Guy Gavriel Kay

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Fri Mar 8 07:46:50 EST 2002

>Robyn wrote:
>
>> I like some of De Lint, but then every now and then he creeps me out. It
>is
>> partly that I really can't cope with a male author who is so persistently
>> interested in portraying lesbian relationships, I think. Also, the really
>> "urban" part of the urban fantasy (crime thriller type stuff) I wouldn't
>> read as a genre normally.
Ros:
>Hmm. I've only read about four or five of his books, and the only one I
>remember having lesbian content is _Memory and Dream_, which I really loved.
>I found the relationship between the two women (which wasn't really a
>lesbian relationship--more that one was in love with the other) beautifully
>portrayed and moving. I haven't read many of his short stories--are there
>lots of lesbian relationships there?
I just finished Moonlight and Vines, and it is a topic that he returns to
with some regularity.  For the most part, thought, he depicts love
relationships between two women as an ongoing theme, but not necessariyl
sexual/romantic love relationships.  There's actually two about females who
have decided to befriend another female, and people think that they're
lesbian, but they're not.  One about a woman who takes another woman in and
lives with her, more like the second is a daughter/little sister.  One
woman who actually decides she's lesbian, after abusive hetreosexual
relationships.  One about a woman and the Aunt that she loves like a
mother... and it goes on. The point is, although there are a ::few::
lesbian relationships, DeLing is more interested in female-female
non-romantic relationships.  Point: the crow girls.  de Lint explores their
close relationship as sisters, a lot.  Point: Jilly.  Another favorite
character.  de Lint likes to explore the maternal/sisterly relationship she
has to women she takes in.  He does have one recurring setting of a lesbian
bar, from which most of the lesbian relationships stem.
Rebecca, who is currently in the middle of a major de Lint kick!  (all 461
pages of Moonlight and Vines + 126 pages of Yarrow in the past two weeks --
plus I've actually been managing good marks on my midterms)
P.s.  I don't know if this is relevant, but de Lint is hetereosexual and
married.

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel