Re Book Recomendations was Guy Gavriel Kay

Satu S Hlinovsky skanervi at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Mar 8 02:25:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Ven wrote:

> I don't think anyone has mentioned Tim Powers
> recently so I think I should for the benefit of
> our new members. Excellent devious, historical
> and contemporary fantasies exploring the "real"
> explanations for various odd but genuine events.

Yeah! I, too, like some of his books (well, I haven't read all of them...)
- especially 'Drawing of the Dark' which is a surprising book about the
history of beer... I never thought I would find THAT interesting!

> I'm doing some serious house clearing at the
> moment and I'm having a real crisis over books. I
> happily culled quite a lot of bad books a while
> ago, now I have a problem with the ones I liked
> once but can't see myself reading again -- to
> keep or give away. I don't have a car either
> which makes the logistics of giving them away harder.

I wish I could find it in my heart to do the same! But letting go of books
is surprisingly hard. I've managed to announce a score of books 'doomed'
but I haven't, yet, really got rid of them - I just moved them out of
bookselves and into the cellar...

- Satu