Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Fri Mar 8 00:57:46 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:48:26 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>----- .  I think technically you can't call Jane Austen a
>> writer of Regency novels--never mind the time period, they're just not the
>> same.  Maybe that's another topic for a thesis.
>
>No - because JA was writing about her own times, while GH was writing about
>a fantasy reconstruction of the times. A Regency presupposes that most
>characters come from genteel or high class backgrounds and go to Almacks.
>Only a tiny percentage of *real* Regency people did that.

Absolutely.  And what Heyer writes about are things that happened that
Austen would never have talked about, at least not in such direct terms.
Compare _The Nonesuch_ and its talk of bastardy with _Sense and
Sensibility_'s dancing around the subject of the two Elizas and their
babies.  Different attitudes.

I keep being disappointed by modern authors' attempts to mimic JA.  Either
they don't have the voice right, or they mention things that Austen never
would, or they aren't content with a novel of manners and turn their book
into a semi-Gothic adventure (as in the completed version of _Sanditon_).
And there are SO many of them!  Maybe I'm just jealous because *I* want to
be writing one myself....

Melissa Proffitt