OT _The Thief_ - SPOILERS...

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 7 21:30:38 EST 2002

Dorian wrote:

> Yes, and I don't know that it's necessarily the sort of thing he'd be
> thinking of under the circumstances he's in - so if he's not thinking
> of it, there's no reason for him to mention it.  We are, after all,
> quite deeply in his head; there's an immediacy to his narrative,
> almost as if he's telling it as the events happen, rather than looking
> back on it.  It seems reasonable to me that he wouldn't mention it.
>
> In fact, come to think of it, given his situation at the beginning and
> even through most of the book - he's in fairly dire straits!  I think
> a case could be made for his deliberately repressing/half-forgetting
> who he really is, as the knowledge might be more harm than help to him
> then.

I agree you do have a point here.

> I'll admit it was a shock though, when I got to the end - my first
> reaction *was* that I'd been cheated, but then I thought about it and
> decided I hadn't been. :-)

And more spoiler space...

But what about Gen's taking the stone from the mage and hiding it in his
hair without telling the reader, allowing the reader to believe it's been
lost?  In omnisecent voice that would be fine, but in a first person that
strikes me as somehow selling the reader short.

Ros