Tanith Lee

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 06:17:07 EST 2002

>>> Sapphire Wine is the second book of a pair. The first of the set is Don't
>>> Bite the Sun. Same world, a lot of the same characters. SF book club as an
>>> edition which includes both of them in one volume. In print now, I'm pretty
>>> sure.
>>
>>Sorry, I didn't make that clear.  I meant the combined book - my copy has on
the
>>cover "Drinking Saphire Wine (including Don't Bite the Sun)"
>
> Funny, the US version of that duo is _Biting the Sun_.

I looked in the publication history of my copy last night.  Mine is Hamlyn,
1979, and implies that it was the first British edition - the two volume set
having been an American edition.

Looking on Bookfinder, incidentally, finds only one book called "Drinking
Sapphire Wine", a single copy of the same Hamlyn edition.  It finds about a
dozen "Biting the Sun", all Bantam Books, 1999.

>>I've not met either of those.  There are some retold fairy tales in Forests of
>>the Night (including, if I'm not confusing two stories, a take on Little Red
>>Riding Hood called, istr, Red as Blood) which I do have.  And enjoy.
>
> The "Red as Blood" from the anthology is one of her many Snow White
> adaptations.  There's a filk song by the same title which is very good.  The
> conceit from the anthology is that each of the stories takes place in a
> particular year and thus is set at least nominally within our own world.

Obviously I need to read Forests again.  The Little Red Riding Hood story seems
to be "Bloodmantle".  "Red as Blood" is in there too, and at least one other
Snow White story iirc.  The book is now on the pile of "to be read soon" books
beside my bed.

And Red as Blood is on my list of books to look out for when buying, of course.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970