Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 6 23:17:25 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Sally Odgers wrote:

> > I have different tastes in books to both my parents;
>
> Me too. My father claims to dislike sf and fantasy (but used to
> like H Rider Haggard - and isn't SHE fantasy?). What he really
> likes is a full-bodied adventure story, preferably with romance
> thrown in.

"Full-bodied adventure story, with romance thrown in" sounds like
H. Rider Haggard to me; some of his stories have fantastic elements
in, but you often get that in adventure stories, and it's my
experience that in Haggard's case the more fantastic works tend to
be the weaker ones.

Mind you, I'm thinking of the famous H. Rider Haggard, he who wrote
_She_ and _King Solomon's Mines_. I've never heard of this other H.
Rider Haggard you refer to - what's she written?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."