Guy Gavriel Kay

Ian W. Riddell iwr77 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 6 13:19:21 EST 2002

Hi! This is my first posting to this group.

Other than "Dogsbody" which I read years ago, I'm a relative newbie to DWJ's
books and was introduced to them when I got a job running the children's/YA
section of the local B&N. I loved (loved loved) Fire and Hemlock and have
just started on the Chrestomanci books.

On Kay:

I adore Kay. I will admit to feeling some national pride because he's a
Canuck like me. I really loved the Fionavar Tapestry and Lions of al-Rassan.
I have enjoyed all of his books that I've read. I will admit to not reading
them very critically.

I do sometimes find his foreshadowing a little heavy handed. But I find the
worlds he creates fascinating and I love his marriage of social/religious
history (from our world) with his own take on relationships and the spirit
world.

Just my humble opinion.  There are too many things I hate (the "Series of
unfortuante events" books, for example) that others love and too many things
I love (the Anita Blake books) that others scoff at for me to assume that my
tastes will be everyone else's.

blessings

widdy