Which Heyer Character are you?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 6 10:59:43 EST 2002

Alex:

>Since I was about 13 I have wanted to be Venetia. I used to like Damerel too
>and also the Devil's Cub himself. Now of course, being a mature woman of 37
>I think that the latter is really quite offensive and abusive. Sigh
>...common sense kills romance dead -

I've been thinking about this ever since I read it, and wondering if
this is what I think  happened to me too.  I'm rather relieved to
think that there's a different explanation. :)  I have the exact same
response to The Devil's Cub now, and also used to love it, but I
think it's not so much that common sense killed romance, as that this
type of reading simply doesn't seem romantic any more.  Thinking
about the Heyer's I used to love vs. the ones I now enjoy, I think
that it's more of the romantic comedy she writes which appeals to me
- while those rakes, and the selfish and arrogant heroes are SO
unromantic!  (To me.  Now.  IMHO. Standard disclaimers...)

But a lot of my favourite books, DWJ and others, have great romances
in them, so it's not that romance has died with old age and common
sense!

>I suppose that Comyn is the one that
>would actually be a good partner but being promiscous, routinely involved in
>violence and physically intimidating is v appealing to a teenager!

Oof.  I'm not a big Comyn fan - I think he's one of those types who'd
be disgusted if you were huge and pregnant and had to pee all the
time (I'll stop now.)

On the same general theme, but different author - has anyone read any
of the historical romances by Laura Kinsale?  She can really write
gripping stuff, but seems to have an edge of abusive behaviour
towards the heroine which is unsettling.  The one which really bugged
me was _My Sweet Folly_, as it had a truly wonderful epistolary
opening, but the rest of the book didn't live up to it for me.

Hallie.