Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Wed Mar 6 10:37:33 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:17:32 -0500 (EST), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>Tangent about yuck: I'm currently rereading my way through the Deryni
>books, but the main time I have to read is on the subway to and from work,
>so it's very slow going. It's even slower going because at the moment, I'm
>at the point where everything has gone completey horrible and, like,
>everyone's going to die. For the next two books. Argh. (and it's not
>exactly spoilery, because of the family trees in the back--which were both
>comforting and devastating the first time I read the books. You know, "oh,
>phew, this person lives another fifty years. Agh! So-and-so's going to die
>*in the next six days*!"

I really hated this with _Camber the Heretic_, as Rhys was my favorite--and
then he died in such a POINTLESS way....

>I've also never been able to get either of my parents to read the whole
>set of books, because while they start fine with the Camber books, and
>move on to the Heirs of Saint Camber, they get bogged down in the
>admittedly slightly labored writing of the Deryni trilogy. My mom never
>listens to me when I say a) those were Katherine Kurtz's first books and
>b) they are necessary to read because Morgan is a fabulous, fabulous
>character.

The friend who introduced me to them made me start with _High Deryni_.  I'm
glad she did.  I wouldn't have stuck with it had I started at the beginning,
that writing is so terrible.  You really only need a plot summary--though I
agree the characters are great, especially Morgan, but all the really good
stuff happens in that third book.

Melissa Proffitt