Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

catherine wright crachelwright at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 08:40:20 EST 2002

I do so agree that _Cousin Kate_ is bobbins... I find
a lot of the later, more pot-boilerish Heyers quite
tiresome too (_Black Sheep_, _Lady of Quality_, that
sort of thing). But I have a special fondness for _The
Foundling_... this is entirely because I have a huge
crush on Gideon...

I have different tastes in books to both my parents;
my mother reads pretty much anything she can get her
hands on EXCEPT SF/F, and my father reads practically
nothing BUT SF/F - but we disagree about what is good
and what is not (apart from DWJ - his favourite is
LoCC). I remember a particularly bad argument over
whether some of the Pern books (the ones about Menolly
at the Harper Hall) were SF or plain fantasy. The only
genre my parents have in common is detective fiction
(not noir - Ellis Peters and so on), and I wonder if
perhaps that is the reason why I have never quite come
to terms with crime and detective fiction...

Catherine