Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Mar 6 08:17:32 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> I don't mind the style, though.  I can't remember--I think I've only read
> the Fionavar Tapestry books and _A Song for Arbonne_.  I keep getting nudged
> by friends to read _Tigana_, but I have a really hard time motivating myself
> to do so.  Maybe I just won't.  I'm probably just getting squeamish in my
> old age, but why put myself through something unpleasant for no good reason?
Ah, _A Song for Arbonne_. I think that was the other one I read.

And I don't think it's the "yuck" that disturbed me; I just didn't connect
with any of the characters.

Tangent about yuck: I'm currently rereading my way through the Deryni
books, but the main time I have to read is on the subway to and from work,
so it's very slow going. It's even slower going because at the moment, I'm
at the point where everything has gone completey horrible and, like,
everyone's going to die. For the next two books. Argh. (and it's not
exactly spoilery, because of the family trees in the back--which were both
comforting and devastating the first time I read the books. You know, "oh,
phew, this person lives another fifty years. Agh! So-and-so's going to die
*in the next six days*!"

I've also never been able to get either of my parents to read the whole
set of books, because while they start fine with the Camber books, and
move on to the Heirs of Saint Camber, they get bogged down in the
admittedly slightly labored writing of the Deryni trilogy. My mom never
listens to me when I say a) those were Katherine Kurtz's first books and
b) they are necessary to read because Morgan is a fabulous, fabulous
character.