Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Wed Mar 6 07:38:41 EST 2002

>>I'm starting to feel very guilty that I've never liked Heyer; or
>> >rather, it was something my mother read, and I can't decide whether
>> >(a) I really like it deep down, but decided to dislike it because I
>> >don't want to like the same things my mother did, (b) I really
>> >dislike it but I feel guilty about that because my mother read it and
>> >she was Always Right, or (c) I would like it if I could read it
>> >without any preconceptions.
>
>I wonder how common this is? I have a friend who won't read Heyer because
>it is her mother's favourite, but then they read a lot of the same books.
>
>My mother only reads psychology articles and crime fiction, and I have to
>admit that I don't read either of these much myself.
You're still lucky -- neither of my parents can remember the last time they
read for fun.  Certainly not since I was _born_!   Okay, that's not quite
true, while on vacation my father has read some Physics stuff and logic
stuff.  And my mother read the Sparrow, but that is literally the only book
for fun my mother has read in my whole lifetime...
My parents hate the fact that I read SF/F, too.  My father keeps on
insisting I'll make a lousy scientist if I read about magic, and my mother
feels I could be doing better things with my time (she feels the same way
about my second major in Computer science.)
I don't know, when I was little I thought people weren't allowed to read
when they were grown up.   It was so cool to meet the list and really
convince myself that there were adults, who, like _read_!
(On an up-note, my "family" at college occasionally needs their nose pulled
out of a book so that they manage to eat a meal without making a mess :-)
RDG

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel