Guy Gavriel Kay

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 06:58:41 EST 2002

Elizabeth Evans (?) wrote:

> Now Georgette Heyer is someone whose books I both love and dislike. Not all
> at once, you understand. I like many of  the romances, but can't some of
> them I positively dislike, especially Cousin Kate. And I can't be bothered
> with the detective ones. One of hers that I really like, that hasn't so far
> been mentioned, I think, is The Tollgate.

Welcome to the List, Elizabeth.

I agree Cousin Kate is probably her least good Regency novel.

I also agree that her detective stories with contemporary settings are pretty
ordinary.

And I even agree that The Tollgate is excellent.  In fact, I'd say The Tollgate
and The Talisman Ring are GH's best detective stories, by a long way!

To return briefly to the subject line of this message, I tried a couple of books
of GGK's Fionnavar (?sp) Tapestry, and I'm afraid I'm in the "didn't like them"
camp.  Not that they weren't an enjoyable read, but GGK's attitude to sex (among
other things) bugged me.  As a Christian who reads novels that have come out of
our modern society, I expect to disagree about sex with a lot of authors; but it
is seldom that it bugs me the way it did in these books.  The books' good points
were not enough to overcome this, for me anyway.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970