imagination in books

Corrick, Georgia g.corrick at southampton.gov.uk
Wed Mar 6 04:28:23 EST 2002

Robyn wrote:
> Emily of New Moon
> (and its sequels), where the imaginative character is pretty much
> persecuted and punished for using her imagination.

As I recall her enforced abstinence from fiction whilst she's at college (in
order to be allowed to go to college she has to agree to write only
non-fiction during her time there) is also shown to have increased her
writing ability. It's also interesting that her first novel, which is not
published for reasons that I won't give away to anyone who hasn't read the
book, is called "Seller of Dreams" - the first novel she actually publishes
is one sounding much more 'realistic'. I wonder if one of the themes of the
Emily series is learning to use imagination in the 'right' way? On the other
hand, though, there is a strong supernatural theme in the series (Emily's
visions), so I'm not sure about this. I've just been looking up biographies
of L M Montgomery and critical work about her - has anyone read anything
they can recommend?

Georgia