Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Wed Mar 6 00:44:14 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:44:43 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>don't know why.  Despite pointed and constant comments from
>> friends, I can't bring myself to want to read Guy Gavriel Kay.
>> No idea why.  Just don't wanna.
>

>I did, once, and didn;t like it. The style was over-ornamented for my taste
>and there was too much yuck.

You know, I feel the same way.  Very--I hesitate to say "realistic" because
I think that does realism a disservice; it's like saying that goodness isn't
just as real as violence.  But certainly pulls no punches when it comes to
the darker side of human behavior.

I don't mind the style, though.  I can't remember--I think I've only read
the Fionavar Tapestry books and _A Song for Arbonne_.  I keep getting nudged
by friends to read _Tigana_, but I have a really hard time motivating myself
to do so.  Maybe I just won't.  I'm probably just getting squeamish in my
old age, but why put myself through something unpleasant for no good reason?

>> At least I know why it's hard to hook them on DWJ -- children's
>> book prejudices.  Though I don't know why my SO refuses to read
>> Bujold.
>
>I haven't taken the plunge yet because I'm afraid of being hooked on a long
>series and having to spend hours (and 100s of dollars) locating and reading
>it!

Sally, if I had the money, I'd loan you mine.  :)

Melissa Proffitt