Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Wed Mar 6 00:40:41 EST 2002

I complained:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 22:04:06 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I can't decide if this or Cotillion is my favourite Heyer. A friend of mine
>and I who reads Heyer too agreed that the Unknown Ajax was the one that
>always made us laugh out loud at embarrassing moments on public transport.
>Are they not commonly available in the library? Our local library used to
>have them all in these really nice pseudo-reproduction editions (with pale
>green covers).

They are only sort of commonly available in my library.  I am working my way
through the list, but _The Unknown Ajax_ is *only* available on
audiocassette, and I'm not that desperate yet....

(I dislike listening to books on tape because a) it's so SLOOOOOOW and b) my
kids make it nearly impossible.  I keep having to stop and rewind whenever
someone comes screaming into the room.)

>I know at least 2 people who have included Heyer in English theses - but I
>guess there will always be a question about whether she is appropriate
>fodder for academic enquiry.

Given that she seems to be responsible for the entire concept of Regency
romances, I don't see any reason why not.  Unless one is Stuffy and
Incapable of Appreciating Genre Fiction.

I came to Regency romances as an adult and couldn't help noticing the
significant differences between books actually written in that time period
and modern Regency novels.  I think technically you can't call Jane Austen a
writer of Regency novels--never mind the time period, they're just not the
same.  Maybe that's another topic for a thesis.

Melissa Proffitt
(who has SEVERAL long essays to be posted to this list, when she gets around
to writing them.  You Have Been Warned.)