Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 6 00:04:06 EST 2002

>I'm starting to feel very guilty that I've never liked Heyer; or
> >rather, it was something my mother read, and I can't decide whether
> >(a) I really like it deep down, but decided to dislike it because I
> >don't want to like the same things my mother did, (b) I really
> >dislike it but I feel guilty about that because my mother read it and
> >she was Always Right, or (c) I would like it if I could read it
> >without any preconceptions.

I wonder how common this is? I have a friend who won't read Heyer because
it is her mother's favourite, but then they read a lot of the same books.

My mother only reads psychology articles and crime fiction, and I have to
admit that I don't read either of these much myself.

>I just read _The Nonesuch_ and liked it, especially the characters--I read
>the new Harlequin edition with a foreword by Mary Jo Putney, and I agree
>with her about preferring the books with older female protagonists--but I
>was disappointed by the plot complication being so unimportant.  I mean, I
>know that the formula demands a complication which will eventually be
>surmounted, so it's not like I expect to be biting my nails over whether
>they'll ever get together.  But this was just a little too obviously tossed
>in.  At least Heyer handles things well; the woman has good reasons both for
>believing the worst of the man, and for not confronting him about her
>misapprehension.  I don't know.  I still can't get any of the other ones
>that have been recommended, especially The Unknown Ajax.

I can't decide if this or Cotillion is my favourite Heyer. A friend of mine
and I who reads Heyer too agreed that the Unknown Ajax was the one that
always made us laugh out loud at embarrassing moments on public transport.
Are they not commonly available in the library? Our local library used to
have them all in these really nice pseudo-reproduction editions (with pale
green covers).

I know at least 2 people who have included Heyer in English theses - but I
guess there will always be a question about whether she is appropriate
fodder for academic enquiry.

Robyn