Heyer (was Re: Which dwj char are you?)

Tue Mar 5 15:59:23 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:29:46 +0100, Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Monday 04 March 2002 17:17, Philip Belben wrote:
>
>> PS I seem to recall a couple of years ago Nat (I think it was) did
>> a survey of list members, including other favourite authors.  After
>> DWJ, Connie Willis came top, IIRC, with Georgette Heyer next.
>
>I'm starting to feel very guilty that I've never liked Heyer; or
>rather, it was something my mother read, and I can't decide whether
>(a) I really like it deep down, but decided to dislike it because I
>don't want to like the same things my mother did, (b) I really
>dislike it but I feel guilty about that because my mother read it and
>she was Always Right, or (c) I would like it if I could read it
>without any preconceptions.
>
>I think (c) but I can't get rid of the preconceptions. I wish I could
>read Heyer with a clean slate to decide if I like it, and if not,
>why; I love _Sorcery and Cecelia_.

Doesn't it just bug you when you think you *ought* to like something and
can't figure out why you *don't*?  Really, you use your tastes in books to
determine future reading, and if you can't count on those, what are you left
with?

I just read _The Nonesuch_ and liked it, especially the characters--I read
the new Harlequin edition with a foreword by Mary Jo Putney, and I agree
with her about preferring the books with older female protagonists--but I
was disappointed by the plot complication being so unimportant.  I mean, I
know that the formula demands a complication which will eventually be
surmounted, so it's not like I expect to be biting my nails over whether
they'll ever get together.  But this was just a little too obviously tossed
in.  At least Heyer handles things well; the woman has good reasons both for
believing the worst of the man, and for not confronting him about her
misapprehension.  I don't know.  I still can't get any of the other ones
that have been recommended, especially The Unknown Ajax.

Melissa Proffitt