Books from the Library

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Mar 5 15:15:20 EST 2002

Lizzie:

>  Has anyone read
>her Vogage of the Basset book, _Islands in the Sky_ I think it's
>called?  That series is something else.  I read the first three - by
>Tanith Lee, Terri Weindling and Sherwood Smith, and found all of them
>incredible.  (Not incredibly good, btw.)  It's amazing how
>heavy-handed didactism in favour of Using the Imagination ends up
>being almost as annoying as if it were saying the opposite.
>
>YES!  I have!  I agree completely!

Well that's comfortable. :)

>I only read the first one (had no
>desire to go on) but it seemed to me like a completely commercial
>enterprise (rather like that series Jane Yolen put out just following
>Harry Potter--Tartan Magic, I think it was called)--no soul to the
>storeis, just the reccomended amount of fantasy, humor, and pseudo-angst
>with an occasional Pinch of Romance all stirred together to create a Good
>Read.  In a word, formulaic.  Disappointing also works.

You are obviously a faster learner than I am, though.  I couldn't
believe Tanith Lee would write something like that, but then having
read it, couldn't believe that Terri Windling would either, so had to
read that one.  And I *really* couldn't believe Sherwood Smith would,
so - The truly sad thing is that I saw the fourth one in Forbidden
Planet (it's by Will Shetterley) and was tempted for a second!

Hallie.