Books from the Library

Tue Mar 5 12:05:41 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:41:06 +0000 (GMT), Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>Oh--I've got a book by Susan Price on my shelf--it's called The Sterkarm
>Handshake.  I can't really say if it's great or not (though what I read
>didn't strike me as horrid) because I sort of read the end before all but
>the very beginning and have as yet not cared enough to read the middle.

No wonder that name was familiar.  :)  I didn't like _The Sterkarm
Handshake_ much at all, despite its being highly recommended.

>As for the Claidi books--I liked the second one best.  After Melissa
>(? have I got that right?)

Yes.  But I'm not sure what you mean by the third book, because only the
first two are available in the US.

>And I've realized that for some reason I associate TAnith Lee with Angela
>Carter.  Any Angela Carter fans?

Probably because of _The Bloody Chamber_...very similar to Lee's _Red as
Blood_ collection of retold fairy tales.  I don't *enjoy* Angela Carter
much, but I like the work she did with modern retellings.  Saw the movie
(In?) The Company of Wolves, loosely based on Carter's Red Riding Hood
interpretation.  It was interesting but strange and a little confusing, and
made me wish I'd read the story first instead of the other way round.

Melissa Proffitt