re Deep Secret -- Fairytales

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 20:30:26 EST 2002

Hallie said

> Ven:
>
> >My last rereading of DS, after seeing what
everyone had to say was
> >enlightening. I was concentrating on two
things, the fairy tale
> >resonances and the way the various magical
manipulations played out.

> Enlightening indeed, Ven - this is great!

Thanks, Ven takes a bow.

> >On fairy tales: Dorian and Hallie were talking

about Beauty and the
> >Beast from the perspective of the characters.
I think there is also
> >similarity of theme. B & TB is one of a whole
series of similar
tales,
> >from Cupid and Psyche to the Black Bull Of
Norroway (a particular
> >favourite of mine). In all of them disaster
ensues when the heroine
is
> >persuaded to pry into her husband's true
nature -- to spy on him.

> And East of the Sun, West of the Moon - the one

which Polly despises,
> right?  :)  You put B&tB in with this lot
though?  I'd have thought
it was
> an important element of the story that Beauty
doesn't do the prying.

> >Secrets, of course, are what the book is all
about. It's Rupert
trying to
> >find the next Emperor and a new Magid, both of

which require him to
look
> >into people's real identities and true nature.

And   Maree and Nick
who
> >are following Rupert around and finding out
what he's up to.

> Yes, that's the bit I'd noticed, and it's why I

included Bluebeard in
the
> list of fairy-tales that resonate with DS.  And

that female
"transgressive
> curiosity" from Bluebeard was an important
element of all the Gothic
> novels.  (Tangentially, I'd never thought of
Sophie's cleaning as
that
> same thing before - and it's yet another of the

wonderful spins put
on
> fairy-tales in Howl.)

She might have found that stash of hearts Howl
was supposed to have!
there was a heap of bosides to be found in ds

Snip

> >I do think the most overt parallels are with
The Sleeping Beauty.
Again
> >I'm not the only/first one to say so but I've
lost track of who did
say
> >this originally -- I think this discussion
started soemwhere in the
Hot
> >Babe thread (Deborah, did you say something a
while ago about the
> >archives getting a search facility .......it
would be nice). A quick
> >recap: the SB role does to a certain extent
fit both their
personalities.
> >It also resonates with the idea of the
imprisoned heirs, only let
out
> >when it's time for them to rule, this is sort
of the dark side of
SB.
> >There are a plethora of barriers and mazes in
DS. Trying to take
them in
> >order:
> >
> >Maree's sharp fingernails and bushlike hair,
seemingly part of a
> >strategy of retreat from, if not outright
avoidance, of human
contact.
> >Bristol's one way system, augmented by magic,
which delays their
first
> >meeting, then Wantchester's road network,
which prevents Maree and
Nick
> >finding the Hotel.
> >
> >The receptionist's intransigence and the hotel

computer combining to
deny
> >Maree a room at first.
> >
> >Gram White's workings at the Hotel, which turn

the whole place into
> >maze.
> >
> >Aglaia Uglaia, the spiky bush goddess of the
empire, personifies
both
> >physical barriers and the barriers people put
up within. The
sequence in
> >Maree's hotel room where Rupert sees the
thorns growing through
Maree's
> >computer, her bed and even her teddybear is
one of the most
disturbing in
> >Dwj. We can see the teddy bear as
reperesenting Maree and what the
Bush
> >Goddess wants to do to her. And the thorn that

pierces the bear
parallels
> >the shuttle that puts Sleeping Beauty into her

prison.

> >Maree's trip to Babylon, saving both her
father and herself
transcends
> >the barrier between life and death.
>
> I really like that barrier and maze theme
you've worked out, Ven.
> Especially with the vine-growing magic Rupert
worked at the
> bus-station which you pointed out in a previous

post.

I forgot to put this in. yes the bus station
barriers which trap the
car shopulfd be on this list

> >Finally, in reference to Cinderella, it's
striking that, if we take
the
> >sfcon to be the ball, it's Rupert trying to
stop her going there
(using
> >the same working as to lure the other magid
candidates) and Janine
the
> >wicked "stepmother" who wants to get her
there. (I've got more to
say
> >aboput this later in a post to be titled DS
--Intentions and The
Witchy
> >Dance)
>
> Oh good.

I got half way through this and the thread of my
argument went all
frayed............... hopefully I can do
something with it.

=====
Ven

.......... almost everyone is boring some kind of reader
or other.

Pamela Dean Dyer-Bennet