Re Deep Secret -- Fairytales

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 07:39:47 EST 2002

> I think I've asked this before, but what is the connection to the name
> "Odile" and Fairy tales?  It comes up in DS (Android receptionist), Tam Lin
> (anne and Odile Beauvias) and Beauty, by Sherri Tepper (can't remember
> wehre off hand -- oh yeah, the maid.)  None of them are big roles, but it
> seems to be a regular theme...

I'd not spotted that.  The name that I seem to encounter again and again in
fantasy is Kern.  There's a king of Dalemark, a prince of Hed (McKillip, Riddle
Master series) and a young rebel who got lynched in Engdahl's "Heritage of the
Star" (aka "This Star Shall Abide").  I think this is more significant because
Kern is afaik a fantasy name, not one picked from the real world.

Any more examples?

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432