Library hold policy (was Re: freedom and necessity)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 07:31:15 EST 2002

Paul, quoting Venkarel:

>> I have this theory, sometimes, that when you
>> place a hold on a book, the librarian doesn't actually
>> look for the book and place it on hold for you, but
>> waits until some unfortunate soul tries to check it
>> out, the computer flags it, and the book is taken away
>> from them.
>
> I can't see when that would ever happen, since that would imply that
> the book was available to be borrowed already, and people only put
> holds on books that aren't available to be borrowed. IYSWIM.

I do see what you mean, but I think that this actually happens in our library.
If they can't find a book on the shelves (it's been mis-filed, for example) they
put it on hold for you.  This means that when someone checks it out, the
computer registers it.

What's worse is that, like any other request, they are not prevented from
borrowing it, but will merely be unable to renew it.  Seriously!  I have
borrowed books and been told, that's been requested so I won't be able to renew
it.  Yuck.

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432