Sandman (Was Re: problem with my posts?

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 22:38:36 EDT 2002

--- deborah <deborah at suberic.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
>
> |> "`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am
> that giggling-dangerous-
> |> totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb,
> more like it."
> |> -neil gaiman
> |Oh, this is good! Where is it from? Who is Neil
> Gaiman? What do I read
> |first?
>
> Everyone else has answered the questions, so I will
> merely
> identify the quotation, which is spoken to Puck (of
> course) in
> the excellent one shot issue of Sandman titled
> (surprise)
> "Midsummer Night's Dream".

Thank you.  I was thinking that the quote didn't seem
to be from _Good Omens_ as some of the responses led
me to thinking.

> There's a small amount of dark in this collection,
> but no horror.
> The story "Calliope" is somewhat harrowing,

I try not to read that story.  I find it quite
disturbing.  I started Sandman with _Brief Lives_, as
it was the only one the library carried.  I'd read a
really lovely fanfic based on the Dreaming, and I
wanted to read the source material.  I was intrigued
enough to look for the rest, which I got at a mini
comic book convention.  My favorite bits of Sandman
tend to be the side stories, collected in _Dream
Country_, _Fables and Reflections_ and _Worlds' End_.
I really admire the way he pulls all the threads
together, but I find the whole storyline rather
harrowing.

I recently picked up his _Books of Magic_ graphic
novel which is really cool.  It's about a bespectacled
young boy with the potential for enormous power who
might save mankind or destroy it.  Some familiar
occult DC characters approach him to show him magic
and its possibilities and his future.

If you like short fiction, he has a collection in
_Smoke and Mirrors_ of short stories and poetry.

ObDWJ: I keep connecting him with DWJ because they
refer to each other in various ways.  I started
reading DWJ again when reading a fan comment on the
similarities between _Howl's Moving Castle_ and
_Stardust_.  BTW, I never really saw this clearly--how
does _Eight Days of Luke_ connect to _American Gods_
other than the mythology?

Kale