Kurtz (was George R. R. Martin)

Fri Jun 28 13:42:41 EDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:16:23 -0700 (PDT), Jon Noble wrote:

>The first volume was one of the very first
>post-Tolkien fantasies to appear as part of '60s
>fantasy boom following the success of LOTR. I think it
>was the first original work in the ballantine fantasy
>range, which until then had been all reprints of pre
>Tolkien works. So from this point of view it is a Very
>Significant Work.

That's what I was getting at in the other post.  So, what are the
significant original works post-Tolkien?  As I understand it, the books
became unexpectedly popular in the mid-'60s, which might explain why it took
a while for new books to come out.  (_Deryni Rising_ was published in 1970.)
Is there anything else that is still being read that was published prior to
this, or have most of them gone the way of the dodo?  I don't have a
convenient way to look such things up, other than thinking of a title and
tracking down its pub. info.

Melissa Proffitt