George R. R. Martin

Fri Jun 28 13:30:18 EDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:54:46 +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:40:07PM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>> I would go even further as to suggest not reading the first two--get someone
>> to summarize the plot for you.  Or, if you do read them, keep in mind that
>> they are not representative of the rest of the series.  My friend who
>> introduced me to fantasy literature *insisted* that I read _High Deryni_
>> first, forced me to continue when the first bit was confusing (because of
>> the lack of backstory), and I was always grateful that she did.
>
>Actually, I'd disagree with this.  I liked the first trilogy quite well.
>And the second trilogy, the Camber of Culdi one, was even better.  But
>after that it all went downhill and I gave up completely.

How funny.  My favorite is the Camber series, but I like the sequels to the
first trilogy well and didn't start losing interest until the Camber
sequels.

But basically, my point is that if you start from the beginning (aka writing
order) and you don't like it, don't give up on the series.  I'm pretty sure
if I'd found it on my own and started from the beginning, I would not have
persevered.  Obviously not everyone will have the same experience, but it's
worth noting, anyway.

Oh, and I found Kurtz's Deryni website.  Apparently our Deryni counterpart
discussion list has had a long debate over where to start reading without
reaching consensus.  Sort of like our periodic "what order SHOULD the
Dalemark books be read in anyway?" discussion.  (I don't see how anyone
could make a reasonable argument for starting with _The Bishop's Heir_
either.)

>Go off and read Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master trilogy instead. 8-)

My copies are already falling apart.  I have the paperbacks, that stupid
book club omnibus, and two first edition hardbacks.  When I finally get that
HB copy of _Heir of Sea and Fire_, my happiness will be complete.  Until I
find another one I really really must have....

Melissa Proffitt