Neil Gaiman (was Re: problem with my posts?)

Fri Jun 28 13:21:59 EDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:50:16 +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>Not being a fan of Terry Pratchett *at all* (despite book-loans from
>well-intentioned friends) I didn't know where this came from, but I
>would say, yes, yes, go and pounce on some Neil Gaiman... except that
>buying all the Sandman books is really quite expensive (wry smile).

Darn straight.  I now have to borrow mine from the person I introduced to
Sandman.  Grumble.

> And
>I suspect it would be quite difficult to find them in a library.

It depends on the library, so it's worth checking to see if yours has them.
Our library system has almost all of them, but has some weird omissions
(like volumes from the middle of the series).  I think they have more of
them than the previous library, which had a very good selection of graphic
novels.

>He has also written "Stardust" (a tale of Faerie) (which comes in both a
>normal book version, and a nice big illustrations-on-every-page
>version).  Also most recently "American Gods"; but from what I've read I
>don't think I'd like that one, so I haven't bothered.

Me neither <shudder>

I have also begun reading The Books of Magic, which is about a boy who is
introduced to the world of magic which coexists in and around our own.  Sort
of.  It's been collected into a number of volumes, and I've only read the
first, which was pretty but not earthshattering.  As an introduction, it
introduces the concept of magic not only to the young hero but to the reader
as well, so if you're familiar with many of the concepts of magic from
fantasy stories, it seems sort of blah.  I'm going to try the rest in hopes
that it will pick up now that the housekeeping is out of the way.  As I
recall, the Sandman series did something similar--got better as the series
progressed, that is, though I was more interested in that one from the
beginning anyway.

Melissa Proffitt