Tough Guide, Kate Forsyth...

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 28 10:55:51 EDT 2002

>Queensland Writer's Centre is having a workshop with Kate Forsyth tomorrow
>(just found out and have a tentative booking). I'm familiar with her
>covers... Any comments?

She's bearable, but not  a brilliant writer by any means. Her strength is
plot, of which she has a lot (her trilogy now runs to 6 books); but her
sentence-level writing is mundane to put it kindly. I have read 5 of the 6
books, and I don't think I'd pay to hear her talk about writing, but at
least I wouldn't be tempted to call out questions about grammatical and/or
historical errors (which I would with some other authors).

>And it is IMPOSSIBLE to get DWJ second hand in Brisbane.

There are a number of Australian subscribers on the girlsown list who have
second-hand catalogues: most of these concentrate on girls' series, but you
do come across the odd DWJ. I don't have details anymore, because I am no
longer local. Someone who is still on the list could get you some contacts,
I am sure, if you don't want to subscribe. You might not find a lot of
books, but since the catalogues don't cost you anything (except in
willpower), it is probably worth it.

Robyn