problem with my posts? (Neil Gaiman OT)

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 10:14:23 EDT 2002

--- Kathleen Jennings <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>
wrote:
> > "`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am
> that giggling-dangerous-
> > totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb,
> more like it."
> > -neil gaiman
> Oh, this is good! Where is it from? Who is Neil
> Gaiman? What do I read
> first?

having the "who is" part already answered in previous
posts, i'll just put in my two cents about what to
read first.

my advice is, find someone you know who has all the
Sandman books, borrow them all from them, and read
them in order.

AFAICT, his other works are not as universally liked
as the Sandman books, so the Sandman books are the
best to start with -- otherwise it is too easy to pick
up the book of his you would like least first, and
then never read his other stuff you would have loved
because you didn't like the first thing you read.

given that you obviously like dwj, it may be that his
upcoming book, Coraline, would be as good or better of
an intro, as she has written a lovely blurb about it
for to book cover and such.  check out the Coraline
website: www.mousecircus.com

i personally started on Neil Gaiman with Good Omens,
which was co-written with Terry Pratchett.  in some
ways it was a good introduction because i loved it so
very much, but in other ways it's not because the feel
is all on one side of the spectrum -- Gaiman does both
humor and serious stuff very well, and this is
basically all humor.  incidentally, Kathryn, if you've
been avoiding this one just because you didn't like
Pratchett's other work, you may want to give it a try
anyway.

i hope this helps.

--jenwa.