Railways

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 09:38:28 EDT 2002

I hope I'm not getting badly behind on this...

Ven's contribution to Kathleen's interesting question:

> the post. What I meant to say is here's my list
> of railways in Dwj, including ones already
> mentioned.
>
> Black Maria    A railway runs to the town. Chris
> and Mig find their old car in the station carpark
> and watch all the stepford commuters come home.
>
> Crown of Dalemark   As aforesaid, it begins with
> maewen taking a long train journey. The green
> roads along which they travel form the future
> rail network, hence Wend's interest in the
> railways.
>
> Eight Days of Luke  Luke arrives at his
> relative's house by train. Because of strikes his
> luggage is delayed, which is the start of his
> problems.
>
> Fire and Hemlock   Polly travels to both Bristol
> and London by train (there's a sinister encounter
> with mr leroy at a station). The traditional
> faery ride is replaced by the train ride from
> Miles Cross. And there's a ghost train, which is
> probably outside your remit.
>
> Homeward Bounders Jamie Helen and Joris pose as
> trainspotters to get on a train without paying.
> The rail arches are an important landmark in
> Jamie's home town.
>
> A Tale of Time City    Vivian starts off on an
> evacuee train.
>
> Stealer of Souls (novella in Mixed Magics) Tonino
> and Cat go on a train by themselves to visit
> Gabriel de Witt.

That's quite a list!  I didn't think of half of these!  For completeness, I'd
add the train journey by Cat and Gwendolen in Charmed Life, and Christopher
getting packed off to boarding school in Lives.

What strikes me is how often the train journey symbolises the transition from
the old, familiar life to a new, unknown life, often at or near the start of the
book:

In Charmed Life, G and C going to live at the castle, leaving Coven street with
quite a wrench.

In Time City, Vivian as evacuee - and the change being bigger than she expected.

In Crown of D, Maewen going from her Mother's to her Father's care - and
Kankredin making it that much more traumatic.

In F&H, Polly ditto, and Morton working somewhat differently from Kankredin.
[That sentence really needs a construction that means "different than"!]

Even in Lives, Christopher sees his trip to Boarding school that way.

In Eight Days of Luke, things are changed around.  The train is once again the
interface between two lives, home and school, but both are familiar, and it is
going home that is traumatic (again at the start of the book, though)

In Homeward Bounders, it's changed around a different way.  Jamie things he's a
lot further from home than one train journey, but at the end of the journey...

(My twopence-worth)

Philip (who really, _really_ wants to ride on a ring train)

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970