Brumbies et al

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 09:21:49 EDT 2002

> Brumby: a wild horse, esp. one descended from runaway stock. (Macquarie
> Dictionary)
> The origin *might* be Lieutenant Brumby who was a horse breeder in the 19th
> century.
> There is a poem by Banjo  Paterson: Brumby's Run. The text is on:
> http://www.brumbywatchaustralia.com/Poems.htm
> Personally, I like it better than "The Man from Snowy River".

Thanks.  Interesting.

>>> Perhaps it is a pouched mammal ......... little
>>> unicorn joeys would be way cute and just imagine
>>> looking after an orphaned one (I'm getting lots
>>> of ideas here........).
>>
>> Wow....  Go for it!
>
> OUCH! Have you seen a joey get into its mother's pouch? Head first!
> (Oversize feet and tail kicking behind). But I suppose unicorns are more
> graceful than horses...

:-)  How soon do they grow their horns?  I thought most mammals didn't grow
horns until adulthood.  Come to think of it, are there any horned marsupials?

OTOH I fear that a marsupial unicorn may just give the impression of a pouch as
a token acknowledgement of Australia - much the way that Brian put pouches on
his notional kookaburras in Witch Week.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970