George R. R. Martin

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jun 28 10:11:46 EDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:01:43 -0700 (PDT), Jon Noble wrote:
>
> >Someone else has mentioned Katherine Kurtz's Deryni
> >books. They're not bad, certainly worth trying. I'd
> >suggest writing order rather than chronological.
>
> I would go even further as to suggest not reading the first two--get someone
> to summarize the plot for you.  Or, if you do read them, keep in mind that
> they are not representative of the rest of the series.
That's probably what I should have told my mother to do. I first read the
Camber trilogy, Harrowing of Gwynedd, and the two Kelson trilogies when I
was...er. maybe 12? So the rather dreadful writing of the first two Kelson
books didn't bother me so much. But I did, in fact, read the Camber books
first, and I liked knowing the background of things like the Interregnum
and Camber's life. And now that I've read all the books, I still prefer to
read them in chronological order, even though the writing drops so
precipitously between The Bastard Prince and Deryni Rising, because one of
the only ways I can deal with reading about all the horrible death and
persecution is by knowing that I'll get to read about laws being reversed
and people not dying in droves.

> But I was disappointed in _King Kelson's Bride_, which lacked the thrill of
> the earlier books.  I had so been looking forward to it.
I just reread this one, after rereading everything else, and while I agree
that it lacks thrills, I liked it perhaps more than the Kelson books. I
realized that I particularly like court intrigue, and politics through
skillful matchmaking, and such things--action without action, if you will.