George R. R. Martin

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 28 08:27:21 EDT 2002

Re: Eddings prologue

I thought the tone was inconsistent, wavering between Tolkien-esque, mythic
language (or attempts at it) and details passed on in visceral or
conversational tone (Tokum's eye being gouged out for example).

And I'll say again, I hate that he gave the backstory for all of these
characters as one, ugly lump at the beginning instead of working it into the
later text. Don't get me wrong, sometimes this works (a film example that
worked, for me, was the opening of Fellowship of the Ring), but here it just
didn't.

widdy