Kurtz (was George R. R. Martin)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 07:16:23 EDT 2002

--- Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:40:07PM -0600, Melissa
> Proffitt wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:01:43 -0700 (PDT), Jon
> Noble wrote:
> >
> > >Someone else has mentioned Katherine Kurtz's
> Deryni
> > >books. They're not bad, certainly worth trying.
> I'd
> > >suggest writing order rather than chronological.
> >
> > I would go even further as to suggest not reading
> the first two--get someone
> > to summarize the plot for you.  Or, if you do read
> them, keep in mind that
> > they are not representative of the rest of the
> series.  My friend who
> > introduced me to fantasy literature *insisted*
> that I read _High Deryni_
> > first, forced me to continue when the first bit
> was confusing (because of
> > the lack of backstory), and I was always grateful
> that she did.
>
> Actually, I'd disagree with this.  I liked the first
> trilogy quite well.
> And the second trilogy, the Camber of Culdi one, was
> even better.  But
> after that it all went downhill and I gave up
> completely.
>
> > But I was disappointed in _King Kelson's Bride_,
> which lacked the thrill of
> > the earlier books.  I had so been looking forward
> to it.
>
> I think she lost it when she started writing the
> fourth Kelson book
> (that is, the direct sequels to the first-written
> trilogy).
I'm inclined to agree, which is why i suggested
writing order. But then this is the order in which I
read them, as I tended to read them as they appeared.
The first volume was one of the very first
post-Tolkien fantasies to appear as part of '60s
fantasy boom following the success of LOTR. I think it
was the first original work in the ballantine fantasy
range, which until then had been all reprints of pre
Tolkien works. So from this point of view it is a Very
Significant Work. Speaking of reprints I came across a
Reader's Choice list of the 100 greatest books of the
twentieth century which included Eddison's "The worm
ouroborus", If that book is on such a list there can't
have been many contributors. While I'd probably
include it in a list of the 100 greatest fantasy books
(now there's a topic for a new thread) I don't think
that a book in which the author has completely
forgotton a central character before page 100 should
be up there with "Ulysses" and "The Great Gatsby" .
Mind you this list also had two L Ron Hubbard books on
it (and they weren't the halfway decent ones he wrote
in the '40s) and everything written by Ayn Rand.