George R. R. Martin

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Jun 28 06:54:46 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:40:07PM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:01:43 -0700 (PDT), Jon Noble wrote:
>
> >Someone else has mentioned Katherine Kurtz's Deryni
> >books. They're not bad, certainly worth trying. I'd
> >suggest writing order rather than chronological.
>
> I would go even further as to suggest not reading the first two--get someone
> to summarize the plot for you.  Or, if you do read them, keep in mind that
> they are not representative of the rest of the series.  My friend who
> introduced me to fantasy literature *insisted* that I read _High Deryni_
> first, forced me to continue when the first bit was confusing (because of
> the lack of backstory), and I was always grateful that she did.

Actually, I'd disagree with this.  I liked the first trilogy quite well.
And the second trilogy, the Camber of Culdi one, was even better.  But
after that it all went downhill and I gave up completely.

> But I was disappointed in _King Kelson's Bride_, which lacked the thrill of
> the earlier books.  I had so been looking forward to it.

I think she lost it when she started writing the fourth Kelson book
(that is, the direct sequels to the first-written trilogy).

Go off and read Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master trilogy instead. 8-)

Kathryn Andersen