Neil Gaiman (was Re: problem with my posts?)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Jun 28 06:50:16 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 05:03:35PM +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> > "`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am that giggling-dangerous-
> > totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb, more like it."
> > -neil gaiman
> Oh, this is good! Where is it from? Who is Neil Gaiman? What do I read
> first?

Not being a fan of Terry Pratchett *at all* (despite book-loans from
well-intentioned friends) I didn't know where this came from, but I
would say, yes, yes, go and pounce on some Neil Gaiman... except that
buying all the Sandman books is really quite expensive (wry smile).  And
I suspect it would be quite difficult to find them in a library.

The tale goes, or so I heard, that some portion of the Sandman series
won the World Fantasy Awards; and the next year they explicitly excluded
Graphic Novels so that it wouldn't happen again.  Sandman is a "comic"
(except that it isn't comic at all, nor is it superficial) so I really
do perfer the term "graphic novel" to describe it.  Or them.  (It's a
series).  It's a blend of fantasy, horror, myth, yet set in a
here-and-now whose veneer of mundanity is stretched very thin.  It has
its own mythos.  The stories vary; some of the horror bits were really
too icky for my taste, nightmare-level stuff (pun not intended), but the
rest of it ranges from the amusing to the profound, often enough
side-by-side.

He has also written "Stardust" (a tale of Faerie) (which comes in both a
normal book version, and a nice big illustrations-on-every-page
version).  Also most recently "American Gods"; but from what I've read I
don't think I'd like that one, so I haven't bothered.

Kathryn Andersen