Eddings and recommendeds (was George R. R. Martin)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 27 20:39:47 EDT 2002

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:

> >> David Eddings.
>
> >(Just to provide a contrasting opinion; I don't at
> all mind that the
> >Mallorean is basically the Belgariad all over
> again; I think he did it
> >better the second time!  And I like all the bit
> where you learn about the
> >"enemy" culture.  Not saying Melissa is wrong, of
> course.  Just that it
> >isn't something that upsets *me*.)
>
> Good point.  The truth is, he still has a very large
> following, so he's
> doing *something* right for *some* of the reading
> public.  :)  There are
> parts of the Malloreon I liked quite a bit--Silk's
> female counterpart, for
> one.  But in general, no, I don't recommend his
> books to people, because my
> distaste for them makes it impossible for me to be
> impartial.
>
> In this case, though, more important than the
> question of whether or not
> Eddings is good is the question of whether or not he
> is a good follow up to
> George R. R. Martin.  I think he isn't, really, and
> I even remember thinking
> when I was reading the first book that Martin's
> world was a stark contrast
> to Eddings'.  Polar opposites, really.  So a reader
> might enjoy Eddings
> normally, but not want to read the Belgariad right
> away after Martin.

Yes, I would not recommend Eddings as a follow on to
Martin, or most of the others mentioned in the last
few threads (Hobb, Williams, Gentle etc). His (or
their as it is now) books are much lighter, and he
does tend to repeat plots. I can't imagine any of the
others having characters who share wisecracks with
gods. Only his evil characters are ever serious. But
they are fun and they are very popular, especially
with teenagers, both boys and girls, so they perhaps
should be added to that list. We currently have a
large group of year 7 students (first year at high
school here - age about 12) who were hooked on the
series by their primary school teacher last year.
Those who didn't go to that primary school are
learning about them from those who did. Incidently
Eddings has written a non-fantasy novel called if I
recall correctly "The losers" which is very different
in tone, it portrays all social workers as parasites
and shows he can at least write a different story.

Jon Noble