George R. R. Martin

Thu Jun 27 18:40:07 EDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:01:43 -0700 (PDT), Jon Noble wrote:

>Someone else has mentioned Katherine Kurtz's Deryni
>books. They're not bad, certainly worth trying. I'd
>suggest writing order rather than chronological.

I would go even further as to suggest not reading the first two--get someone
to summarize the plot for you.  Or, if you do read them, keep in mind that
they are not representative of the rest of the series.  My friend who
introduced me to fantasy literature *insisted* that I read _High Deryni_
first, forced me to continue when the first bit was confusing (because of
the lack of backstory), and I was always grateful that she did.

But I was disappointed in _King Kelson's Bride_, which lacked the thrill of
the earlier books.  I had so been looking forward to it.

Melissa Proffitt