George R. R. Martin

Thu Jun 27 16:57:06 EDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:03:31 -0400, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>Thanks Melissa! That list will keep me going for a while. I've always had
>this suspicion I might like Tad Williams, so I'll give it a try.

You're welcome!  There's another series I can't believe I forgot: _The
Runelords_ by David Farland.  Strongly "realistic" content and an
interesting but complicated magic system.  The magic is what keeps some
readers from staying interested, because Farland does us all the courtesy of
not explaining everything in a huge info-dump at the beginning.
Unfortunately, with all that information spread out over the first 150
pages, it's hard to stay connected at first because that really does require
an understanding of how the magic works.  On the plus side, the magic system
is morally complex and Farland deals with this instead of just glossing it
over.  So it can be satisfying on several levels.

>As for Eddings, I have started the first book of the Belgariad and I can see
>what you mean. I found the prologue quite horrible to be honest. The actual
>chapters are much better - but I wonder if he would have been better served
>integrating all of the prologue back-story into the text as he went along.

Probably, but I doubt he would have kept his actual audience interested.  I
see it as very basic entry-level fantasy for people who might not have
developed certain reading techniques.  My real problem with his books is
that he continued to write the same kind of fantasy, his prose is awful, and
he recycled his plots and drew attention to that fact--trying to justify
doing it.  It didn't work.

Melissa Proffitt