Robin Hobb (not Hobbs)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jun 27 12:16:43 EDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> I liked the Assassin trilogy but found it emotionally draining, particularly
> the third book.  How does the new series compare that way?  I got very
> tired, near the end, of Fitz constantly falling into Mortal Peril and then
> out of it again.  That must be some comment on how engaging the character
> was, but I don't have the energy for it again.
I read the entire trilogy...um, last summer, I think, when I'd come home
from college with a huge compiled list of recs from the list. And it took
me *so* *long* to slog through the entire thing. I kept on reading because
I wanted to know how things worked out...

SPOILER SPACE

...but then of course I didn't like the ending. But then, I don't like it
when other people think it's a happy ending and I'm going "but they're
dead! it's not happy! people are dead!"

Also, I have very little patience for people doing incredibly stupid
things and then being surprised when they get into trouble, like, say,
Fitz and the girl-whose-name-I-forget. I mean, sheesh. If you can't get
married, and you're in a time/place with no birth control, and you
*really* can't have a kid, then. um. Would it really have killed them to
abstain?