Subject: Re: Dart-Thornton (was Australian

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 10:58:51 EDT 2002

Ven wrote:

> One could have a black unicorn, like the black
> swans, but I think that
> would be rather inauspicious.

Yes, but it would make me think too much of Terry Brooks' "The Black Unicorn"
:-)

> Perhaps it is a pouched mammal ......... little
> unicorn joeys would be way cute and just imagine
> looking after an orphaned one (I'm getting lots
> of ideas here........).

Wow....  Go for it!

> <But if we're talking building from roots,
> then...
> say that the Unicorns
> came over with the Brumbies, and walk in the
> wilds like they do, nimble
> and wild, the colour of sandstone and heat-haze,
> seen, but not seen, in
> the dappled shade of the trees...>

Hang on.  Could someone please enlighten this confirmed Northerner - what is a
Brumbie?  (or is it Brumby?)

> quote. And I would just like to mention zebra
> unicorns and (spelling?) Pryzwalski's horse
> unicorns.

Yes!  Yes!  (I think it's Przywalski)

(But don't forget that a unicorn isn't exactly like a horse.  The heraldic
tradition - with which I'm most familiar - gives it a horse's head and body,
cloven hooves, a lion's tail and a goat's beard.  See "The White Donkey" by
Ursula le Guin)

Philip (who has never been further south than Jakarta) desperately trying to
catch up a huge backlog of list mail after a holiday in Wales last week.
(Advantage of going to Wales - I called in at Hay on Wye and bought a Cart and
Cwidder first edition for L10.50.  My Mandarin edition with all the cuts is
going in the next church fete...)

PS.  Recent reads - "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S Beagle has some interesting
takes on the subject...

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970