Homeward Bounders (Best bit)

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 26 21:07:08 EDT 2002

Well, after getting back from the movies at 10pm went to visit potential
DWJ-fan. Finished reading the book aloud at 3am, she is thoroughly hooked.
Yay. She may join the list next semester.
It's been that long since I read it, it was almost like reading it again
(only better, because of the glimmer of recognition).
For all that it's so serious, there are some great (and amusing) sections.
My favourite:
The lead-up to Jamie's discovery of Adam's offer to Konstam. It's great
because you never actually see what happened, only the aftermath. You have
to imagine the rest. (Interesting, too, that in this book Jamie isn't
actually around for most of the preparation/action: the errand  boy).
Secondly (and maybe more favourite): the cricket-match. Oh, that was good.
The only author I have ever read who has made a game of cricket exciting
(except for Banjo Paterson's "When Macdougall Topped the Score"). I loved it
(possibly all the more since I am not a cricket fan). Cricket as
full-contact sport.
I was wondering if this is as amusing for US readers? If you don't get it, I
suggest you pick up Bill Bryson's Down Under, which has a marvelous
description of cricket on the radio (long stretches of discussions about the
relative merits of grasses, interspersed with "micromoments of real action",
players "with a matress strapped to each leg") etc. Maybe cricket's more
widely known today? When my mother came over she saw a game of polo and
asked my father, "Oh, is that cricket?" (family lore, now).

Kathleen.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au