Homeward Bounders (spoilers)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Wed Jun 26 18:05:40 EDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:33:33AM -0500, Nat Case wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:18:35PM +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> >> Correction - Homeward Bounders, not Dogsbody. I'm not thinking straight.
> >
> >That one is, indeed, darker than it might first appear.  Fascinatingly
> >paradoxical and angsty -- but can someone *please* explain the ending to
> >me?  I don't understand the rationale for what Jamie decided to do...
> >(and reading it multiple times hasn't helped...)  8-(
>

> SPOILER FOR HOMEWARD BOUNDERS

> My take:
>
> Jamie very closely tied his idea of hoped-for home with his specific
> childhood, which has long gone. And he realizes at the house in the
> 20th century that he will never be able to fit into that kind of
> family life again. The other Homeward Bounders will be able to make a
> new home, or in any case haven't lost hope. So Jamie at the end is
> all that's left to "mind the store." It's one of those things he
> knows he has to do, but does because he thinks he has to. But you
> wouldn't believe...
>
> Is that the piece you can't figure out?

No, what I can't figure out is, really, why there had to *be* somebody
who considered the "bounds" to be home, to walk the bounds at all, and
why would doing this keep the worlds safe from the Game-playing demons?
It isn't that Jamie doesn't think he could find a new home, it's that he
feels it's his duty to *never* stay somewhere long enough to think of it
as his home.  Otherwise he could have made a new home with any of his
friends who offered; he *was* tempted to, but felt that he shouldn't.

Kathryn Andersen