Homeward Bounders (spoilers)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Jun 26 12:33:33 EDT 2002

>On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:18:35PM +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
>>  Correction - Homeward Bounders, not Dogsbody. I'm not thinking straight.
>
>That one is, indeed, darker than it might first appear.  Fascinatingly
>paradoxical and angsty -- but can someone *please* explain the ending to
>me?  I don't understand the rationale for what Jamie decided to do...
>(and reading it multiple times hasn't helped...)  8-(

SPOILER FOR HOMEWARD BOUNDERS

My take:

Jamie very closely tied his idea of hoped-for home with his specific
childhood, which has long gone. And he realizes at the house in the
20th century that he will never be able to fit into that kind of
family life again. The other Homeward Bounders will be able to make a
new home, or in any case haven't lost hope. So Jamie at the end is
all that's left to "mind the store." It's one of those things he
knows he has to do, but does because he thinks he has to. But you
wouldn't believe...

Is that the piece you can't figure out?

Nat