Euro-Colony fantasy (was Re: Dart-Thornton (was Australian Fantasy))

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 26 01:48:17 EDT 2002

Jon Noble wrote:
> Gary Crew's "Strange objects" which is inspired by the
> wreck of the Batavia perhaps, I think that had the
> hand. mandrakes are perhaps from another novel of the
> same era on a diferent shipwreck (the "Loch Aird")
> David MacRobbie's "Mandragora". The only novel I can
> think of with min-min lights is one called "the
> Min-min" which has been around for quite a while
> (1960s?) I can't recall the author - Mavis Thorpe
> Clarke perhaps. (just checked - it was)

Correct on all counts! They have blended into one nebulous (but
well-written) nightmare. The first two put me off wanting to live on the
Australian coast. I'll take the min-mins anyday.

Hve blásnautt er hjarta sem einskis saknar.
How destitute is a heart that misses nothing.
       - Ýmir, Einar Benediktsson
Kathleen Jennings
s368333 at student.uq.edu.au