OT/Gary Stu (fanfic definition query)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jun 25 18:51:13 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:23:45PM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> disseminated via the Internet, back in the late Cretaceous, and my friends
> who wrote it did so because they were terrified of criticism, afraid that if
> they sent out their writing for publication, it would be savaged by editors.
> They saw fanfic as a safe environment in which there would be only praise
> and happiness and they would never have to change a word of what they wrote
> because it wasn't meant for public consumption--just to be passed among
> friends.

And there are still fans who have this attitude.  They tend to clash
(verbally) violently with those fans who consider that excellence is
something to be strived for.  And the proportions of the two schools
vary widely depending on which particular groups of fans you look at.
I'd been in fandom for more than 15 years before I encountered the "it's
only for fun, we don't care if it's crap, and if you say *one* negative
word, you are malicious" school of thought, when I joined a particular
fandom I hadn't been a member of before.  So it varies.

Kathryn Andersen