Euro-Colony fantasy (was Re: Dart-Thornton (was Australian Fantasy))

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jun 25 18:40:12 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 12:52:47PM -0500, Nat Case wrote:
> Perhaps part of the problem is that if fantasy is to reflect the real
> inter-cultural situation, it is likely to be a violent and bloody as
> American Gods, and not everyone is up for writing or reading that
> kind of wrenching stuff. In pretty much all former colonies, there's
> a lot of really nasty history, which I would think would makes it
> hard to write old-fashioned, hero vs villain, epic-and-ballad-based
> fantasy.

Not necessarily.  Yes, there's nasty history, but there's also non-nasty
history -- at least in Australia you also have the hero versus the
landscape... and a number of epic ballads!  "The Man From Snowy River"
springs to mind...

Kathryn Andersen
[Vizzini has just cut the rope]
Vizzini:  HE DIDN'T FALL?  INCONCEIVABLE!
Inigo:  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it
  means.
	(The Princess Bride)