OT/Gary Stu (fanfic definition query)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue Jun 25 13:56:49 EDT 2002

At 3:31 PM +0200 6/25/02, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

>Without getting into the subject of fanfiction (I'm a ficcer, and I
>know plenty of ficcers that aren't only better than me, but
>sometimes better than the stuff they work from), I think this
>particular comment, which is a common one, is so sad. People do
>hundreds of things every day that they can't sell, in some cases
>because of copyright factors, in some because it's not good enough,
>in some because they don't want to. From that point of view,
>planting flowers in your window or singing in the shower is a waste.
>Having a cat that doesn't breed exhibition kittens is a waste. It's
>not done to make money, or even to show. It's just done to make life
>richer.
>
>Katta

I was surprised to learn recently from Ingrid that the entire hobby
of knitting from patterns is based on this kind of intellectual
property model: in almost every case, you are not allowed to sell
work you have knitted from a copyrighted pattern, and in most cases,
the sweaters are also unavailable from "official" sources. So the
only way these patterns gets disseminated is via the original
for-sale publication, or by seeing the "fanfic" completed or
in-progress pieces.

It's enough to give a content-creator pause.

Nat