Introductions

Caleb W scalebw at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 25 13:58:34 EDT 2002

<snip>
> I'm finding a lot of kids are picking them up now due to Angus
> and Robertson
> and Dymocks pushing them as 'what to read after harry potter' and
> have been
> amused to find most of the Chrestomanci books right next to the
> Harry Potter
> books in the Top 10 kids books in Bookworld for months.

I was surprised to find that the garden centre/service station place I
stopped at yesterday while travelling had a surprisingly decent range of
children's books, rather than just the warehouse clearance leftovers, Harry
Potter and rubbish like Shivers. As well as DWJ books (not just
Chrestomanci) there were Philip Pullman, Redwall books by Brian Jacques, the
Deptford books by Robin Jarvis, Artemis Fowl, and various other non-fantasy
ones.

On Saturday I had the opportunity of being in a big town, with bookshops!
Smiths had a "two books for £5" offer, but unfortunately it wasn't very big
and I couldn't find two books I _really_ wanted, although I could in the
independant bookshop that didn't have any special offers on, so since I've
only just got out of debt after Hay-on-wye I didn't buy any :( I tried
looking for "Mortal Engines" but couldn't find it anywhere, although I did
see "The Wind Singer" which I almost bought anyway.

Off to Cyprus on holiday soon (yay!), so will probably have several hundred
messages to catch up on when I get back...

Caleb W.